The Carters-sponsored Building Legends workshops are developed specifically for construction practitioners. The proposed topic for the next workshop series is Contracts 101.
Contracts 101 – Interpreting and Administering a Construction Contract
Contracts 101 will be of interest to any builder or project manager who submits and/or reviews tenders, negotiates and/or signs contracts, or works under the terms of those agreements. The workshop has two components: Contract interpretation – ensuring that all parties are aware of their responsibilities under the contract; and Contract Administration – providing practical tools and techniques to both, ensure project team familiarisation with the contract, and to link project operations to the contract.
- Documents issued prior to the Date of Acceptance of Tender: What are the documents that comprise the invitation to tender and how to interpret them
- Notice to tenderers: What they are they and how to deal with amendments to documents that have been previously issued
- The Contractor’s tender: Determining the essential elements of an offer
- Post offer negotiations: What they mean and how to keep a record of the negotiations tidy
- The counteroffer and acceptance: Delineating between the separate stages that lead to acceptance
- The Contract agreement: Converting the acceptance into ‘The Contract’
- Treating the contract as a document to be referred to continuously – front of mind for the management and project team
- Tips on ensuring project operations are aligned with the agreement
- Converting actionable items into a roles and responsibilities matrix
- Scenario roleplaying with your teams to ensure contract comprehension
- Subject to demand, the Contracts 101 workshops are being planned for the first quarter of 2022, with locations also being determined by demand.
- The workshop will consist of 2 x three-hour sessions a fortnight apart.
- The cost for the workshop will be $475 + GST for NZIOB Members and $575 + GST for Non-Members.
- CPD Credits for NZIOB Members: 10
To gauge the level of interest, we are running a Registration of Interest list. Please add your name here if you are interested in attending Contracts 101.