Following a successful Expression of Interest process, a strong group of interim Establishment Board (iEB) members has been selected and will start work on the formation of all six Workforce Development Councils (WDCs). The establishment of the WDCs was originally targeted for mid-2021 but has been fast-tracked to help support New Zealand’s COVID-19 response and recovery.
WDCs will contribute to the new vocational education and training system by:
- Providing skills and workforce leadership for the industries they represent
- Providing vocational education investment advice to the Government
- Developing qualifications, setting standards, and moderating assessments
- Endorsing provider programmes
- Promoting the benefits of educating employees to employers