On Thursday 21 November, the NZIOB Northland Branch, together with NorthTec, hosted their 17th Annual Student Awards at the NorthTec Apprentice Café. The new-format event, held at a new-and-improved venue, saw local Branch member Damian Thompson take the role as MC. Six high-achieving students were presented awards in front of a crowd of nearly 100 people. NZIOB CEO, Malcolm Fleming, gave an overview of the construction industry’s current condition, stressing the importance of young leaders entering the industry now in order to fortify the industry’s future. And guest speaker, Darrell Trigg, Managing Director of Trigg Construction and President of the Registered Master Builders Association, highlighted the potential opportunities that lay before the award-winning students. The event was proudly sponsored by local companies, most of whom have supported the Awards from the beginning.
The 2019 winners and category sponsors are:
- The winner of the 'NZ Certificate Construction Trade Skills Level 3 Carpentry' category is James Drake (Category sponsors: PlaceMakers, Apex Roof 'n' Clad)
- The winner of the 'NZ Certificate Painting and Decorating Level 4' category is Nathanael Te Kere Jnr (Category sponsors: Wynn Fraser, Autex, NorthTec)
- The winner of the 'NZ Certificate Certificate in Carpentry Level 4 Carpentry' category is Ethan Tregidga (Category sponsors: Altherm Aluminium, Bowling Infrastructure Group)
- The winner of the 'NZ Certificate Diploma in Engineering (Civil)' category is Arden Hermans (Category sponsors: Griffiths & Associates, Donovan Group, NZIOB)
- The winner of the 'NZ Diploma in Architectural Technology (Level 6)' category is Helen Beran (Category sponsors: Hawthorn Geddes, Rosenfeld Kidson, World of Décor)
- The winner of the 'NZ Certificate in Electrical Engineering Theory (Level 3)' category is Joshua Reyburn (Category sponsors: Active Electrical, Elevate CA, Building and Fire Services)