NZIOB Young Professional Advisor Opportunities for 2020
Like many professional membership organisations, the New Zealand Institute of Building (NZIOB) is challenged with ensuring that its membership offerings and activities are relevant and responsive to the construction industry’s younger generation.
To address this, in 2019 the NZIOB created a sole Young Professional Advisor (YPA) position, with the appointee providing strategic guidance, from the perspective of millennials, to the NZIOB National Board. This was soon expanded by adding YPA representation to the NZIOB’s three Regional Committees, which in turn formed the separate YPA Committee. The introduction of the YPA Committee has proved to be a successful initiative, with the Committee involved in several new initiatives that were envisaged in 2019 and will be delivered in 2020.
Opportunities for 2020
Due to a desire to increase the size of the YPA Committee, combined with the requirement to fill YPA vacancies that have occurred due to some 2019 YPAs no longer being eligible (age wise) to continue in 2020, there are five regional YPA spots to fill. The new appointees will be charged with providing a millennial voice on their respective Regional Committees, and to be an active participant within the YPA Committee itself. Through the YPA Chair (already appointed) the Committee reports through to the NZIOB National Board. YPA roles represent a significant opportunity for emerging talent within the construction industry to begin their governance careers.
Expressions of Interests (EOIs) for the five regional YPA roles are now being sought from suitably qualified candidates from both the NZIOB membership and industry at large (although a non-member would be expected, if appointed, to seek membership).
Applicants should be:
- Under 30 years of age as at 31 December 2019
- Located in Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch
- Employed full-time in the construction industry
- Either trade qualified or hold a construction focused qualification
- Considered a strategic thinker
- Able to point to a career to date that is marked with accomplishments
- The Young Professional Advisor role is for the 2020 calendar year
- The requirement is to attend monthly Regional Committee meetings and YPA Committee meetings (generally via video conference) as required
- The positions are unremunerated, with any national travel that may be required on occasion being arranged by the NZIOB
How to apply
Applicants should provide their resume and covering letter to support their application.
The applicant must include in their covering letter:
- Their understanding of requirements and/or issues facing young professionals within the construction industry today
- Demonstrate how they will add value in this role
- Provide examples of their accomplishments to date
The applicant must include in their resume:
- Their experience to date and role currently held
- Provide two referees
The applicant’s cover letter and resume (in Word or PDF format) should be addressed to:
EOIs close at 5.00pm on Wednesday, 12 February 2020.
To discuss the role in more detail, please contact the NZIOB YPA Chair, Farran Inglis (email email@example.com, phone 027 403 7032).