Regional Finalists | Key dates | Eligibility | How it works | How to enter | Judging & Prizes | Supporting Partner | Contact
Thank you to all those who entered the 2023 Next Gen Awards - the standard of all those who entered was very high. If the entries are anything to go by the future of Aotearoa's construction industry is very bright!
Congratulations to our nine regional finalists! A regional winner and overall national winner will be announced at the NZ Building People Awards on 18 August.
Northern Region Finalists
Thomas Alderson - Certificate of Carpentry, BCITO
Tess Epton - Master of Architecture (Prof), University of Auckland
Anni Zhou - Master of Construction - Digital Built Environment, Massey University
Central Region Finalists
Jack Forster - Certificate in Carpentry (level 4), BCITO
Daniel Merwyn - Certificate in Carpentry (level 4), Toi-Ohomai
Emily Newmarch - PhD in Architecture, Victoria University of Wellington
Southern Region Finalists
Liz Hocking - NZ Diploma in Construction (Level 6) - Construction Management, Te Pukenga
Sophia Pratt-Miller - Diploma in Construction (Quantity Surveying), Open Polytechnic
Thomas Steel - Bachelor of Engineering with Honours (Civil - Structural minor), University of Canterbury
|Entries open||Monday, 3 April 2023|
|Entries close||Monday, 22 May 2023|
|Regional Finalists announced||June / July - Events TBC|
|Regional and Supreme Award Winner announced||Friday, 18th August 2023|
Entry into the NZ Institute of Building Next Gen Awards is available to students who are:
- Next Gen Members of the Institute . Student membership is free for anyone enrolled in a construction-related apprenticeship or tertiary programme. Nominees who are not already Student Members of the NZIOB can join via a two-minute online application;
- In any year of study
Stage One: Regional Finalists
- Next Gen (Students, Apprentices or Cadets) enter the Awards for their region (Southern, Central, Northern)
- Judges for each region assess the applications and select the top three finalists in the region
- These finalists (three for each region) will be announced at an Institute of Building Regional Event (June / July tbc)
- The nine regional finalists will be invited to attend the New Zealand Building Industry Awards, held in Christchurch on Friday 18 August (regional finalists who need to travel to attend will be assisted financially)
Stage Two: Regional Winners & National Supreme Winner
- The three National and one Supreme winners will be announced at the Awards ceremony on 18 August in Christchurch
- Judges will select one winner from each region
- Judges also select one National Supreme Award winner from the three Regional winners. The Supreme Award winner being the ‘country’s top Next Gen student, apprentice or cadet studying in a construction-related trade or qualification.’
- Read the Entry Form Guidelines for information on what is required to complete the online entry form.
- Access the online entry form here.
Each of the 9 Regional finalists will receive flights and accommodation to the National awards in Christchurch on August 18th.
The winner of each region will receive $1000.00 and the National winner will receive $3000.00.