About | Categories | Eligibility | Nominations | How to enter | Judging & Prizes | Timeline/Register | Supporting Partner | Contact
The New Zealand Institute of Building (NZIOB) has had a long history of running regional student awards programmes. For 2022 onwards, the Institute’s three regional awards are replaced with a single national programme, the NZIOB National Student Awards.
The key point of difference between this student awards programmes and other established student awards programmes, is that the NZIOB National Student Awards provide an opportunity for students to be recognised by the full construction industry, versus one profession within the industry. There is also a category also, for those in their final year of a carpentry apprenticeship.
Awards are given to the top student in each of the following construction-related programs:
Entry into the NZIOB National Student Awards is only available to students who are:
- Student Members of the NZIOB. Student membership is free for anyone enrolled in a construction-related apprenticeship or tertiary programme. Nominees who are not already Student Members of the NZIOB can join via a two-minute online application; and
- In their final year of study.
Nominations can be made by either:
- the Nominee themselves; or
- the Nominee’s Employer, Client, Lecturer, Supervisor, Assessor.
- Entries have now closed.
- Read the Entry Form Guidelines for information on what is required to complete the online entry form. Please note that Nominees have the option to submit their answers to the six key questions in the entry form in either written or video format.
- Determine what region you are entering: Northern (north of Taupo), Central (Taupo + south of Taupo), or Southern (South Island). See this map for where the regional boundaries lie.
- Access the relevant online entry form below:
Stage One – Regional:
The first stage of the NZIOB National Student Awards is assessed by regional judging groups, who evaluate nominations and award a $500 cash prize to the top student in each of the four categories: Design, Engineering, Management, Trades. The NZIOB has three regions: Northern (north of Taupo), Central (south of Taupo), and Southern (South Island); each of which will host a Regional Awards Ceremony. Register to attend a Regional Ceremony.
Stage Two – National:
The winners of each category at the Regional Awards progress to the National Awards, where the nominees are assessed by a new national judging group. The national winner of each of the four categories is invited to attend the NZIOB’s annual New Zealand Building Industry Awards Ceremony & Gala Dinner at the Cordis Hotel in Auckland. The Supreme Winner of the NZIOB National Student Awards will be announced at the Gala Dinner.
The Awards structure at a glance:
|1 March 2022||Entries open|
|3 June 2022||Entries close|
|4-29 July 2022||Regional Awards Ceremonies - Register to attend|
|2 September 2022||National Category Winners and Supreme Award Winner announced at the New Zealand Building Industry Awards Ceremony & Gala Dinner|
The NZIOB acknowledges the generosity of our National Student Awards Supporting Partner, Resene.
To find out more about the NZIOB National Student Awards, please email email@example.com